During the fall and winter months, when it’s particularly colder, our skin sometimes suffers from dryness, which for most can be avoided if you follow some simple steps in your daily skincare regimen. These things include:
– Hydrating your skin both internally and externally with water and moisturizing products,
– Exfoliating your skin to rid it of built up dead skin cells and eliminates impurities. Remember to not over exfoliate, which will do more harm than good.
– Moisturize & use SPF since UV rays are just as damaging in the winter as it is during the summer. Plus, SPF and a good moisturizer aid in preventing problems caused by aging skin.
– Protect your skin, especially your hands, feet, nails and cuticles where dry, cracking skin can be painful and lead to infections. Plus, dry, cracked lips and cuticles just aren’t cute.
To help our skin fight the good fight against the cold weather in the upcoming fall and winter months, I’ve compiled a list of skincare items that have been on heavy rotation. Some products are staples, and some are newbies to my skincare team, but that doesn’t make them any less important to helping the cause.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Foaming Milk & Body Wash
-This body wash is super cream AND moisturizing, and it smells divine. I use this with shower gloves to exfoliate my skin to make it softer, and smooth like a baby’s bottom, and with a back brush while showering.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Body Butter
– Super moisturizing, and not heavy.
First Aid Beauty Cleanser
This lightweight, creamy, moisturizing cleanser gently whisks away dirt and impurities without stripping your skin.
Mario Badescu Facial Spray
– I use this as a toner after cleansing my skin in the morning and evening, and to set my makeup. Read my review here
First Aid Beauty 5-in-1 Face Cream SPF 30
– This is a lightweight moisturizer with SPF 30 that isn’t heavy or greasy, and is non-comedogenic. It protects and diminishes visible signs of aging, too!
Aveeno Postively Radiant Intensive Night Cream
-I mostly use this at night, but it does help on those days when I was a bad girl, and didn’t drink enough water, and my skin is just dry, so I’ll use it in the morning and evening to whip my skin back into shape.
– My lips, especially during the colder months have a love affair with carmex. I prefer it in the pot, but, recently, since Walgreen’s had a sale, I picked up the tube. It keeps your lips soft, soothes and heals, and it has SPF.
– If your lips are extremely dry and flakey, it’s also good to exfoliate with a mixture of sugar in the raw, olive oil and a drop of lemon juice. I sometimes use grapeseed oil, too.
MAVALA Cuticle Cream
– For me, when it gets cold, my cuticles really suffer. They become dry, and sometimes split. OUCH! Lately, I’ve been using the MAVALA Cuticle cream at night, and I have definitely seen a difference. My nails are healthier, and I have no hangnails or dry cuticles.
KIEHL’S Since 1851 Ultimate Strength Hand Salve
I tend to wash my hands often, and the colder weather doesn’t make it any easier to keep my hands moisturized. This KIEHL’S Since 1851 Ultimate Strength Hand Salve, even though it doesn’t smell too hot – it smells like a salve – it works wonders. Soft hands, soft cuticles, it’s a winner in my book.