Eucerin’s main goal is to raise awareness of the importance of taking the necessary steps to prepare your skin for the sun so you can keep your skin healthy as the summer continues. Since a lot of may be spending your time basking in the sun, here are a few tips I’m going to share that you may not have known.
Some Summer Skincare Tips:
· The strength of sunlight is the main factor for the quantity of UV radiation your skin can be exposed to. Latitude, altitude, time of day, season and cloud coverage can all have a dramatic effect on the sun’s impact on our skin. Even reflected sunlight from windows, pavement, water, snow and sand can raise the risk of overexposure.
· As skin color is determined by the amount of melanin present in the skin, ethnicity can also play a large role in sun exposure. Often a result of a group’s distance from the equator (and its stronger sunlight), darker skins are more resistant to the effects of sunlight than fairer skins. African-Americans, for example, are 20 times less likely to develop melanoma than those with white skin.[i] Conversely, one study found that African-American women aged 15 to 49 have more than 20 times the risk of vitamin D deficiency than Caucasians. Different skin colors will react to UV rays at different speeds. So one should be mindful of her skin’s susceptibilities when considering her exposure time or adding protection.
· The strength of sunscreen is determined by its Sun Protection Factor (SPF), a number that measures the amount of UV radiation required to sunburn with the sunscreen on, relative to the amount that would burn skin without it. For example, SPF-15 allows about 1/15 (about 6%) of the UV rays that would penetrate the skin without the sunscreen on. SPF-30 would allow 1/30 (about 3%) and so on.
– Enter to win Eucerin’s Everyday Protection Lotion (Open to US residents Only).
– Comment below with ‘Enter Me’ & The way(s) currently protect your skin from sun damage.
-Giveaway Ends September 10, 2010 11:59pm EST
-Winners will be randomly selected
· Take the Skin FIRST pledge. For each pledge submitted, Eucerin will make a donation to Healthy Women.org
· Checkout & Like the Eucerin Facebook Page for more information on skin health as well as get a complimentary product by taking the Skin FIRST pledge on their Facebook page through the Skin FIRST tab.
Disclaimer: Eucerin adheres to the FTC guidelines regarding endorsements and testimonials and expects that you will be truthful in your post and disclose in full anything that is provided by Eucerin.