One of the most common items in a woman’s purse is the cosmetics bag — that little pouch holding all the absolute necessities to ensure your face looks flawless throughout the day and night. I know there are some women who think they need a ton of items in their purse “just in-case.” Their not so little make-up bag becomes an addition to the large purse they’re already carrying, and in my opinion, that is way too much. Your makeup bag should fit in your purse and in your evening bag.
Here are some makeup bag essentials every woman should have in their bag:
1. Black Mascara (brown for women with lighter hair& skin)- You can usually achieve both day and night looks with the same bottle, though, by varying the number of coats you apply (more coats for a bolder look) and whether you go with top-lashes only (a more natural look) or both top and bottom (a more dramatic look).
MAX Factor 2000 Calorie Xtreme Mascara is one of my favorites! It’s seriously waterproof.
2. Eyeshadow – a shade that’s neautral enough for day & flexible enough for you to use at night either by topping with an eyeliner or layering the color. It’s best to carry around a quad eyeshadow palette. It’s a space saver, and it can help you identify the right combination of colors for your look.
3. Blush – Blush should look as natural as possible, so an array of colors is not necessary.
MAC ‘s Format Blush is a staple for me.
4. Concealer – hides imperfections, like dark spots, scars or dark circles under the eyes.
I use MAC’s Studio Finish in NC45 under my eyes. NC50 for other areas.
5. Powder – Blot powder or translucent powder especially if you’re oily because it tends to mattify your skin. It also “sets” concealer or foundation. For people who like more coverage, it’s best to use a colored pressed powder like. I use Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (I use this a lot) for sheer coverage & to even out my skintone.
6. Lipstick or Lipgloss – The product you use depends on your preference. I prefer lipgloss. Since you eat and drink while you’re out and about, lipstick or gloss is perhaps the most often reapplied makeup product. It gets a prime position in any makeup bag. Some women carry a lip balm, lipstick and a finishing gloss every day, and use them all.
Queen Bee by MAC is one of my faves, but it’s discontinued. I have this in my bag right now.
7. Compact Mirror – So you can see what you’re doing.
8. Travel-Sized Makeup Brushes – to ensure proper makeup application on the go!
If you’ve watched my youtube tutorial’s, you’ll know that I love Sigma Makeup Brushes! They’re great! & they even come in travel size. $49 for 7 travel-size brushes.
Don’t forget to enter my two giveaways – MAC Spring Colour Forecast Giveaway ends Monday March, 2010 & my 100 Follower Giveaway, which has two winners ends on March 6, 2010.
Makeup by Kim Porter