Feeling drab? Just put on some red lipstick. Red lipsticks can bring life to any look. It can make you look and feel glamorous, sexy and ready to take on the world (I kid). Wearing red lipstick can shorten your beauty routine, and still have you looking fabulous. Many times I’ve forgone foundation, blush/bronzer – basically my whole ‘get cute’ makeup routine – when I want a simple look in a few seconds flat. There a few red lipsticks that I’m attached to, and live in my purse because I wear them almost every day. It’s sad because my 2 1/2 year old daughter even notices. She said “Mommy, you always wear red li-stick.”
Below are the Best Red Lipsticks to Ring in the New Year or a New Day
1. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) “NSFW” – True red with a mate finish.
2. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) “Strutter” – Mahogany-toned ‘classic’ red.
3. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) ” Role Play” – Deep maroon with red pearl.
4. MAC Cosmetics “Russian Red” – Non-drying matte red lipstick with great staying power, and a tad bit of creaminess.
5. MAC Cosmetics “RiRi Woo” – Is a “matte cool red [with a retro matte finish]”
6. MAC Cosmetics “Ruby Woo” – Velvety matte finish, blue-based red. (see post)
Tips for wearing red lipsticks
1. Exfoliate your lips using a lip scrub if you’re using a matte lipstick.
2. Properly moisturize your lips prior to applying lipstick.
3. Line your lips with a neutral-toned lip pencil to keep the lipstick from feathering. You may also fill your lip with the pencil to act as a base. Example: I use MAC ‘Cork’ lip pencil.
4. Use a lip brush for precise application. Nothing looks worse (or trashy) than messy red lipstick.
5. Clean up the areas around the mouth with a concealer or foundation in the shade of your skin tone. Use a Flat Definer Brush like E15 brush from Sigma Makeup
6. Add a clear gloss over a satin or matte lipstick to make your lips look fuller. You may also apply the clear gloss prior to applying your lipstick to in a sense, dilute the lipstick shade. The latter is more for daytime wear.