Hello beautiful people!
I’m Nicole and I wanted to share some information with you about the Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM. When I first heard of this cleansing method, I thought “slapping more oil on my face?” “When its already oily by the afternoon?” However, when I read the reasons behind this method, it made complete sense! There are many reasons that some of the mainstream products out there may give your skin trouble, the main one being that they strip the oil out of your precious skin. That leaves our skin trying to compensate and replace the oil that was stripped away, which results in dry tight skin later replaced by very oily skin! Please understand this method may not be for everyone, but I have enjoyed the results and my husband and ten year son have too!
Fragrance and irritants is the other culprit, causing reactions, redness and “angry “skin! So the first thing to remember is that oil dissolves oil. Pimples, blackheads and blemishes are caused by lots of things like hormones, and bacteria. Natural oils applied to your face can heal, moisturize and protect it so it can do what it’s supposed to do. By massaging your face with oil you can dissolve the oil and impurities stuck in your pores. Now on to the simple way to cleanse your face with oil!
1. You will need to blend two oils, preferably organic – The main oil with the moisturizing properties can be either olive or sunflower seed, I have combination skin, and the sunflower seed works well for me. The second oil will be castor oil, which is known for purging and cleansing out your pores.
2. For oily skin– you may try 30% Castor to 70% Sunflower Seed Oil, balanced skin -20% castor oil to 80% Sunflower Seed oil, and dry skin try a blend of 10% Castor oil to 90% Sunflower Seed Oil.
3. Remember you have to see what works for your skin, these are just suggestions, do your research!
4. Store your oils in a clean container at all times to avoid bacteria growth.
5. You will need a soft washcloth, your oil blend and hot water. You may want to do this routine before bedtime. By morning, you can just wash your face with water, no deep cleaning needed.
6. Pour a generous amount of oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together and smooth the oil over your face, it’s actually relaxing!
7. Use firm motions and massage the oil deep into your pores, this will remove any makeup and dirt from the day, so you won’t need makeup remover.
8. Once you have massaged your entire face, soak your washcloth in warm water and hold it over your face, to steam it. Let it stay on your skin until it cools, and gently wipe all traces if the oil away. No need to scrub! Your skin will feel soft and smooth.
9. Should your skin feel tight at the end rub a few drops of oil over your face, the method of deep cleaning with oil doesn’t need to be done daily maybe every other day. You may see for the first few days small “whiteheads” that erupt as your skin purges the impurities. It can take a week or so for your skin to balance where it should be. Enjoy small pores, smooth skin and even skin tone! Naturally!
You can check my other posts at Wonderfully Made Mama