Over the weekend I introduced you to the world of makeup primers, in the post titled The Importance of Primer: Keep Your Makeup Lasting all Day where I talked about the different types foundation primers, and their purpose. In this post, I will cover eyelid/eyeshadow primers/bases.
Eyeshadow primers serve the same purpose as foundation primers, which is keeping the eyeshadow in place throughout the day, and ensure smooth application of the eyeshadows you’re applying. Eyeshadow primers are great for people like myself who have oily lids. If you have oily lids, and have used eyeshadow without a primer, you’ll notice that within a few hours of wear, the eyeshadow has slid off and/or creased.
An eyeshadow base, is a base color you apply before you apply a eyeshadow to make it “pop” and become more vibrant; it ensures the eyeshadow shows true to color. For example, applying a white cream base like NYX E/S Base or NYX Jumbo E/P in Milk, before applying a blue eyeshadow will make the color “pop.” An eyeshadow base can also help prevent creasing but it doesn’t always work.
1. Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) Original – $18
– This is my HG eyelid primer. I use it in all of my tutorials & during regular makeup applications. It’s sheer/totally nude. Goes on smooth with a thin, creamy consistency. A little goes a long way.
2. Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) Sin – $18
– Nice champagne color when applied to lids, which allows you to wear it alone. Great for use under shimmery/metallic eyeshadows. I love this just as much as the original.
3. Bare Escentuals PrimeTime Eyelid Primer – $16
– It works well. I don’t like the applicator. I usually use a concealer brush with it. It a little too thick for me, and it makes my lids look “ashy.” A little goes a long way.
1. MAC Cream Colour Base (Luna) – $16.50
-Multifunctional product; can be used on lips, eyes and cheeks. Be careful which base you use since all are not made to be used on all parts of your face. It has a creamy/gloss consistency which allows e/s to stick. I find it works best when used with a primer under. Do not apply too much or you WILL experience creasing. Can be applied with a concealer brush or finger.
2. NYX Jumbo E/P (Milk) – $3.50
– This is the HG base for most makeup junkies, mua’s, and beauty bloggers. It works well, especially with bright colors. It comes in a variety of colors, but you mostly see Black Bean and Milk used most. Apply directly to the lid & blend out with a brush.
3. NYX E/S Base (White) – $6
– This to me is just the Jumbo E/S pencil in a jar; similar consistencies. The Jumbo E/S Pencil is less. They work the same to me.
4. MAC Paint Pot (Quite Natural)- $16.50
-This has a creamy consistency, and dries to a nice smooth finish. Creates seamless coverage without the weight or caking. This is great if you have discoloration on your lids since it’s pigmented enough. Available in matte & pearl formula’s. It also comes in a variety of colors, which gives you the option to use it as a an eye prep, or go for a more bold/vibrant color to make your eyeshadows “pop.”